Driving long-term ocean health for Kovalam & Vizhinham...
The Masterplan focuses on the key areas identified by our Global Ambassadors, our team, the local community and our 5 inspiring local partners. They are:
- Waste management (including developing an initial plastic recycling collection facility for the community);
- Plastic source-reduction programs (working with businesses, students, tourists and the local community to eradicate single-use plastics through our Plastic Free for the Sea initiative);
- Bio-remediation / micro-remediation (focusing on the Gangaya estuary in Vizhinjam);
- Ecotourism (providing the skills, knowledge and support to transition toward ocean-friendly marine- based ecotourism);
These four core focus areas will be supported by social programs, aimed at increasing and sustaining our ongoing efforts:
* Education (through our partner organisation SISP and our other partners in the region we will work with locals of all ages to increase knowledge when it comes to sustainable resource management and conservation, developing future ocean leaders from within the community);
* Training (ensuring ongoing training to ensure a smooth transition into more sustainable industries, whilst skilling-up youth, students and those seeking employment within the community);
* Employment (providing ongoing, fair-trade employment, ensuring a more resilient community, where marine conservation and community health is worth more than exploitation).
We need your support to continue and expand this ambitious project - will you help us to keep our local team, programs and centre operational?
This is our biggest project to date! Please support us and help to make a real difference to our work by donating here.