With the launch of our 5-year Masterplan in India this year, we are excited to have employed our full time team and to have opened our Marine Conservation Centre on the ground in Kovalam (located within one of the world’s 10 Marine Biodiversity Hotspots).
Last October, 158 incredible individuals and businesses supported us to get our full-time program off the ground and running, however we need ongoing funds to keep the program growing and to implement the first waste management system in Vizhinjam and Kovalam; ensure the remediation of Vizhinjam Estuary (Gangaya); and run our ongoing education, employment and training programs to shift the community toward healthier oceans and a more prosperous future!
Will you assist us to reach our goals?
Your contribution will help us:
* Develop the first waste plastic management system as part of our 'Project: Clean Vizhinjam' and 'Project: Clean Kovalam' campaigns. The program will employ two staff from within the community at each location to oversee the projects;
* Employ 10 local people to transition away from exploitative industries (fishing), towards industries which conserve the ocean and local waterways (waste management, teaching, eco-tourism);
* Fund river health and water quality testing for the initial phase of our estuary rehabilitation project in Vizhinjam;
* Kick-start our waste and marine conservation community education programs and workshops;
* Help us commence our 'Single-use free for the Sea' project with local businesses in Kovalam.
From the local communities of Kovalam and Vizhinjam to the rivers, estuaries, coastlines and marine life of the region, thank you for your support for a region in desperate need!
Photography © Positive Change for Marine Life 2017