Driving long-term ocean health for Kovalam & Vizhinham...
Our Global Ambassador Adventure has given us the baseline research and community input needed to develop our Marine Conservation Masterplan, set for release in September 2017.
The Masterplan focuses on the key areas identified by our team and our fantastic local partners. They are:
* Waste Management (including developing a comprehensive waste management system for the region);
* Bio-remediation / micro-remediation (focusing on heavily polluted rivers and estuaries in the region);
* Eco-tourism (providing the skills, knowledge and support to transition marine- based tourism to ensure it is as ecologically sensitive as possible);
These three core focus areas will be supported by ongoing social programs, aimed at increasing and sustaining:
* Education (through our partner organisation SISP and other partners in the region we will work with locals of all ages to increase knowledge when it comes to sustainable resource management and conservation);
* Training (ensuring ongoing training to ensure a smooth transition into more sustainable industries, whilst skilling-up youth, students and those who are seeking employment);
* Employment (providing ongoing, fair-trade principled employment, ensuring a more resilient community where conservation is worth more than exploitation).
To help drive our plan, please make a pledge to support our crowdfunding efforts from September 28 this year! We are planning on creating an enormous crowdfunding push and we need your support to make our Masterplan a reality!
What will the marine conservation masterplan look like?
The masterplan is set to identify and address these key issues affecting marine health within the region and will include a one, three and five-year plan to drive conservation outcomes, as well as social opportunities with assistance from our on-ground partners.
We have already secured our office space in Kovalam, which will become our Marine Conservation Education Centre from October. We are also in the process of hiring three full-time interns to lead the project on the ground in Kerala and will host subsequent annual Ambassador Adventures and Professional Exchange trips bringing and sharing international and local ideas, knowledge and strategic direction to the Masterplan as it unfolds.
Stay tuned for updates on the release of the Masterplan on September 28. For now, you can take a look at our sponsorship outline for our Global Program in India here and why not make a real difference to this campaign by pledging your support for our Crowdfunder, which will also be launched on September 28!